1. Firstly go to the google apps registration page. There are 2 types of google apps account - 1 that is free and 1 that isn't. The free solution is enough for most of our clients requirements and gives you up to 10 email addresses with up to 7GB storage each. Register first at google apps and follow through the instructions. Enter your domain name and your registration details. Bear in mind that this will be your google apps administrator account and you will be able to set up your additional emails under this account once it is set up. Once complete click 'I accept. Create my account' (claim code Z89FJRCYW9J4).
2. We recommend you then select 'go express'.
3. You now need to verify domain ownership. This involves you downloading the file and uploading it to your website. For our websites this is normally the folder public_html. Once this is done click verify.
4. Now is the bit where you can set up any additional user (ie other email addresses) if you have them. Follow the instructions to do this which is quite straightforward (compared to the next bit)
5. Now we need to sort out the mail routing. When you buy a domain it comes with a set of 'records'. What these do is tell the internet (out there in the ether) where to look for things like your website... and your emails. We need to set you domain so that the 'internet' knows that google is managing your emails. Under 'how do you want to route your emails' select 'google servers'. This will very nearly always be the option you select. You then need to follow the instructions to set your domain DNS to route the mail to google. We have a 1-click option to set this if you have your domains hosted with leonmedia so give us a call on 01702 558001 if you need it initiated.
6. You can now click through the rest of the options. There is plenty of choice but most of it you will not use apart from the google calendar which we recommend you set up
7. Now it's all done! You can now login to google via the google.co.uk page and enjoy your emails.